30 December 2009

#27. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Title:

The Handmaid’s Tale

Author:

Margaret Atwood

Genre:

Post-Apocalyptic Fiction/Thriller

Synopsis:

Via a kind of diary we find the main character in a patriarchal oppressive religious society which is based around infertility and ritual.

Verdict:

This book scared the bejesus out of me on a whole other level. The idea that women’s rights could slowly – or not so slowly – be phased out again, even in a developed country and then completely removed left me feeling panicky and convinced that a) I have never appreciated those rights before and b) I should be doing a lot more personally to cement and advance gender equality.
The first person account seemed stream of consciousness rather than recounted later – as it is described in the book – but I was too creeped out be much bothered by that.

Pages:

324

Read:

December 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment